Ask the Veterinarian/kitten that is lifeless

Today we took our 14 week old kitten to the vet. Her belly is very bloated. She was givin 3 enemas today. Sent home with us 2 meds. A laxative and a antibiotic. Well at home several hours latter. Our kitten is not drinking and is very lifeless. Please help.

I's sorry your kitty is so sick. Did your vet test this kitten for FIP (feline infectious peritonitis)?

Was it given any tests at all, such as FIP> FELV>FIV or anything? Enemas are only going to help if she is constipated and kittens are rarely constipated.

Bloated bellies are a sign of either FIP or worms- such as roundworms, or an intestinal obstruction (usually from a worm overload).

You need to get this cat back to a vet and have her tested for one of these viruses. I know it's late but I hope that you took her back already.

The vet should have tested her for these things- it's the first step in determining what is going on with her.

You know that there is nothing that can be done via the internet and that a kitten this ill needs to be seen again if she isn't better in a short time. If your vet won't test her take her somewhere else.

She needs to be seen right away and checked for worms and these viruses.
I really hope that she makes it. Please let me know how she does and if you got her into a new vet office.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.