Ask the Veterinarian/Question

How do you like your job? Have you always wanted to be a Veterinarian? What's the best part about your job?

I love my job. After working a few years as a regular veterinarian, a client told me about homeopathy. Then a local veterinarian gave me 2 remedies for “bladder problems”. A client’s cat had been on antibiotic for 3 years for “bladder problems”, with recurrence of symptoms if stopped. A few weeks on one of the remedies and for the next 9 months that I was at that practice, the cat was healthy and not on antibiotics. After taking a 1 weekend class, I was able to help some other mystery cases, so began to study it more, eventually helping  found the Academy of Veterinary Homeopathy.  My clients call me anytime their animals are ill and we decide if they need to see a local veterinarian for diagnosis. Usually they do not. I then consult many homeopathic books to determine the best remedy. I will get calls to follow up on the response of the animals to the treatment prescribed. I coach people on feeding a fresh food diet and not giving any vaccines except the legally required Rabies. I work on my web site to empower people to learn for themselves. My benefits are working at home. Clients are very grateful to me. The very best part is knowing that animals are healthier and living longer.

I cannot remember wanting to be anything until 7th grade when I worked in the summer at the Air Force Base Veterinary Clinic for $.25/hour - yes a quarter an hour. I learned to do fecal exams to look for parasite eggs. I was allowed to help with surgery and even do some stitching. I read veterinary text books. I learned how to empty anal glands. I learned how to listen to the heart. I decided to become a veterinarian when I grew up.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Christina Chambreau

I can give you the holistic approach to any problem, mostly for dogs and cats and some farm animals and horses. Depending on the condition and the type of animal, I will be able to give very specific treatment suggestions such as what flower essences, homeopathic remedies, nutritional supplements, diet changes, lifestyle changes or herbs that may be helpful - not drugs. I can also suggest where you can go for further education or to find a specialist in a specific holistic field. I can help you understand why your animal is ill and what improvements can be expected. I do not check messages more than every one to two days, so PLEASE DO NOT ask about EMERGENCIES - call your local veterinarian. I cannot diagnose your animal. I cannot prescribe specific treatments. I am no longer very current with conventional treatments, so cannot answer questions on those. I am not an expert on birds or small critters. I am not an expert in breeding, birthing or babies.

I graduated from the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine in 1980 and began using homeopathy in my practice after a client introduced me to it. By 1988 I was using exclusively holistic treatments. I began lecturing in 1987 and have spoken at veterinary conferences, health food stores, people's homes, churches, veterinary college conferences - anywhere people want to learn more about keeping their animals healthy.

Academy of Veterinary Homeopathy (I helped found this one) American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association National Center for Homeopathy American Veterinary Medical Association

I have written in many magazines, journals and newspapers. A few include Bark Magazine; Journal of the AHVMA; Baltimore Dog Magazine; Whole Dog Journal; Tiger Tribe; Wolf Clan. I have also been frequently interviewed on radio and TV. I am Associate Editor for the Integrative Veterinary Care Journal, so often have articles there.

Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) Certified Veterinary Homeopath (CVH)