Ask the Veterinarian/red bumps in dogs ear

left ear
left ear  
My puppy has red bumps in her ears and has been scratching and rubbing at them a lot. She has also not been listening as well lately and I am wondering if what's wrong with her ears is keeping her from wanting to listen.

Hi there,
It might be a good idea to visit your vet to get those ears checked as if she has an ear infection she will most likely need some antibiotic drops. If there is any chance the eardrum has a hole in it, you will need to be very careful with what you put down those ears.

Generally if the inner and middle ear cavities are okay (there are 3 compartments, the external ear is usually the part infected in pets), hearing is just fine. Could be just selective deafness in this case!

Hope that helps a little!

Ask the Veterinarian

Eloise Bright

I am a vet with a special interest in dermatology, particularly allergic dogs and cats, behaviour and acupuncture. I work mainly with dogs and cats. If you are wondering why your pet is still itchy, despite good flea control, or why your dog licks his feet, I may be able to give you some solutions. I'm currently very passionate about behaviour and am doing some further education in this area. So if you have a troubling behaviour with your dog or cat, such as barking, leash reactivity, anxiety or a dog who is a little wild and difficult to control, I may be able to help you with some solutions.

I work in an area of Sydney where we see lots of allergic pets. I think behaviour problems are very common and I help a number of owners find solutions that will restore peace to them and their pets. Currently I enjoy answering questions, providing advice and writing pet care articles for

I graduated as a vet from Sydney Uni in 2006 and have since been completing my Masters in Small Animal Practice and am also updating my skills with a behaviour course through Sydney Uni.