Ask the Veterinarian/Rehab paw curling under while walking

I have a 16 year old male cat who recently returned home after having a cardiac episode which resulted in a clot that led to Saddle thrombosis.  He is currently being seen by a vet.  My question deals with rehab.  He has movement and some strength in both back legs but when he tries to walk his paws tend to curl underneath making it more of a drag than a walk.  I'm definitely going to need to get him some boots to help prevent sores on his feet.  I try to do massage of the legs and paws/toes and help him get into a proper siting position to eat and drink etc.  Is there any type of special boot that can help stop his toes from curling under when he walks?  If so where can I find them?  Other than the exercises mentioned are there any specifically that can aid with this particular problem?  Thank you, Don

Hi Don,
You are very lucky that he survived this saddle thrombosis. The curling under is because he hasn't gotten all the feeling back in his legs.

There are boots for cats here:

You might want to ask your vet if they can get some type of boots from one of the distributors that sell to them. These boots have velcro which make it easy to remove and clean.

You might find other options online as well. I do hope he has a complete recovery Don.

Good luck.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.