Ask the Veterinarian/my chihuahua 6 mos sick

My chihuahua has been sick for about 24 hours throwing up a little bit, not eating or drinking, I bought a canine distemper adenovirus type 2 parainfluenza parvovirus caccine modified live virus, today but when I got it home the cake one was broke and all the stuff was out of it.. Can I give her just the parvo vaccine that came with it?

Hi there,
you must be very worried about your little puppy. I would not give a vaccine to a sick animal. Your little puppy is trying to get well, so giving a vaccine will be completely ineffective.

Small breed puppies can deteriorate rapidly so I would get her to the vet quickly for treatment if she is not eating and vomiting.

Sorry to hear she is unwell, I hope she is feeling better soon.

Ask the Veterinarian

Eloise Bright

I am a vet with a special interest in dermatology, particularly allergic dogs and cats, behaviour and acupuncture. I work mainly with dogs and cats. If you are wondering why your pet is still itchy, despite good flea control, or why your dog licks his feet, I may be able to give you some solutions. I'm currently very passionate about behaviour and am doing some further education in this area. So if you have a troubling behaviour with your dog or cat, such as barking, leash reactivity, anxiety or a dog who is a little wild and difficult to control, I may be able to help you with some solutions.

I work in an area of Sydney where we see lots of allergic pets. I think behaviour problems are very common and I help a number of owners find solutions that will restore peace to them and their pets. Currently I enjoy answering questions, providing advice and writing pet care articles for

I graduated as a vet from Sydney Uni in 2006 and have since been completing my Masters in Small Animal Practice and am also updating my skills with a behaviour course through Sydney Uni.