Ask the Veterinarian/Hair loss Thin coat

Hi, I have a 4 yr old Chesapeake with a very thin coat and very little to no hair in his inner thigh area its pink. he has always been like this with dry skin. He does have allergics forms of mites found in the house will changing food help this. I just hate to see him shiver and shake in the late season of duck hunting. thank you Greg

Hello there,
I might just ask a few questions to try and help you a bit better. Is the thin hair all over, or just inside the legs? If it has always been like this and just on the inside of the back legs, then it's pretty normal. If there has been some hair-loss, is the area itchy?

Often dogs with dust mite allergies lick their feet and are itchy. Is this under control for your dog, or do you need some help with the allergy? Often food allergies look fairly similar to dust mite allergies or atopic dermatitis.

A food trial is often very useful for a dog with allergies. You either need to use a hydrolysed protein diet or a home cooked elimination diet with a meat source your dog has never had before. I can give you more details about what to do if you like.

Hope that helps a little, but let me know the answers to the questions above and I will try to help.

Ask the Veterinarian

Eloise Bright

I am a vet with a special interest in dermatology, particularly allergic dogs and cats, behaviour and acupuncture. I work mainly with dogs and cats. If you are wondering why your pet is still itchy, despite good flea control, or why your dog licks his feet, I may be able to give you some solutions. I'm currently very passionate about behaviour and am doing some further education in this area. So if you have a troubling behaviour with your dog or cat, such as barking, leash reactivity, anxiety or a dog who is a little wild and difficult to control, I may be able to help you with some solutions.

I work in an area of Sydney where we see lots of allergic pets. I think behaviour problems are very common and I help a number of owners find solutions that will restore peace to them and their pets. Currently I enjoy answering questions, providing advice and writing pet care articles for

I graduated as a vet from Sydney Uni in 2006 and have since been completing my Masters in Small Animal Practice and am also updating my skills with a behaviour course through Sydney Uni.