Ask the Veterinarian/kitten umbilical cord

Question
Hi my cat had one kitten. He is now 2days old. I have noticed his umbilical cord is bleeding from where it is attached at the stomach. It isnt bleeding lots but i am concerned. Is there anything to worry about?

Answer
Hi there,
sorry for the delay getting back to you. Is it looking swollen or red around the cord? They can sometimes get a little infection there, but otherwise the cord usually dries up and drops off by itself.

I would bathe the area with a saline solution (you can make your own with 1 tsp salt to 1 cup of cooled boiled water). Use this to gently clean around the cord twice daily. This solution is antibacterial and will help to dry it up and protect the area.

Hope that helps a little.

Eloise
Veterinarian in Sydney Australia
www.lovethatpet.com

Ask the Veterinarian

Eloise Bright