Ask the Veterinarian/Kitty with hurt back leg

Question
Our indoor/outdoor kitty has a hurt back leg. She doesn't want to put weight on it at all. However, she will still jump up on ottoman or bed for rest. Should I take her to the vet or wait a few days to see if it gets better? Also, is there something I might give her for pain?

Answer
I am assuming that when you say she can jump up onto an ottoman, she is putting full weight on that leg? if yes, you can wait a few days. If she is not putting a lot of weight on the leg when jumping up, then it could be broken.

If you were already trained or had learned about these home care techniques, you could easily and safely relieve any pain and improve healing. I strongly recommend getting some training in understanding the wide range of approaches to health so you can be in charge of what you choose for treatments for your animals. There are so many different ways to stimulate healing that you never need to give up trying. From books, on-line and in classes you can learn Reiki (which can take the "bad" out of vaccines and any needed drugs, or even make food healthier), massage, HTA, TTouch, acupressure, flower essence therapy, all of which are 100% safe to use for any problems. There are many more approaches you can do to help heal your animals with some training since they need to be used more carefully - homeopathy, herbal medicine, Chinese herbs, aromatherapy. In addition to classes there are many very good list serves filled with people experienced with not vaccinating and feeding raw meat diets. Classes are found through your health food store, by phone or on-line. As with human health approaches, there are many different opinions, so you need to experiment and see what makes your animals more or less healthy.

right now you could try Rescue remedy from the health food store (and sometimes in regular pharmacies) which is good for temporary pain relief. Buy the people one, not the pet one. Put 4 drops in an ounce of water in a jar and give a few drops in every meal and every few hours in between. You cannot use it too often. It is totally safe. It is great for people too - for anxiety, stress, shock, grief and more.

Even before you are trained in Reiki, you can ask for this energy healing that cannot hurt and may help.  Personally, I think every person who lives with or works with animals must know at least Level I Reiki. The practitioner offers this energy and the animal comes over to get it (or places her hands upon the animal), or it can be done from a distance, even around the world with the intent for healing to occur. The energy flows through the healer into the animal. This is based on directly applying Chi (energy) to rebalance the energy field so it no longer needs to produce the physical symptoms. It is a very good adjunct to any healing modality, especially to relieve pain and inflammation. I have seen cats who began to eat again when their food was treated with Reiki. It also "takes the bad out of" things. By doing Reiki on smelly water in restaurants I have been able to drink sweet tasting and smelling water. Use Reiki anytime that you must give injections, vaccines, drugs, flea or heartworm drugs, or other substances with potential toxicity. Reiki is great to calm animals, relieve discomfort, and can deeply heal some problems in some animals.  

1. Great information on Reiki - http://www.reikicourse.org. Kathleen Prasad is a wonderful teacher and works with my favorite sanctuary and holistic education center, BrightHaven www.brighthaven.org. Kathleen leads a free monthly telechat for anyone trained in Reiki and using it with animals.
3. http://www.animalreikisource.com/. If you cannot find a Reiki Class near you (same class for people and animals as it connects you through an "attunement" to the healing energy of the universe, making you a channel of healing), the following groups offer long distance, free, attunements.

a. http://theholisticcare.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13,
       b. http://freereikiattunement.com/
       c. www.ReikiBlessings.com offers free Reiki attunements, classes and training on-line         and animal classes, too
       d. Long distance healing and training is at www.animalhealers.homestead.com/  
       e. Christine at cbearse@earthlink.net, www.awakeningrainbows.com. To receive free distance Reiki send her your first name only, city and state, and whether or not you have had any Reiki training.  She invites you to include your pets as well.  She uses a teddy bear and does a full body Reiki distance treatment for one hour each Sunday evening from 9 p.m. until 10 p.m. EST.
4. www.AnimalReikiAlliance.com has articles and Maryland holistic practitioners listed.
5. http://www.reiki.org  . http://www.ReikiTails.com  is a great practitioner in Maryland who knows a lot about cats.
6. Get a free treatment for yourself at www.interdimensionalhealing.com.

Another wonderful healer, Deena Spears works long distance with Sound Tuning. www.Singingwoods.com. I have seen many animals and the people in a home be healed by her work.

And a team of over 100 healers will send free healing energy until you say not to. Email Barbara at nancelot01@aol.com with your healing request, name of animal, species, color & age. In the subject say request through Dr. Chambreau

And I strongly recommend finding an integrative veterinarian with whom to work. This is a person trained in many different approaches, including using conventional drugs only when absolutely needed. Working with one can increase the chance that your cherished companion can live a long and healthy life after recovering from this current problem. There are good ones and great ones, and a few homeopathic veterinarians will consult by phone or email. You can go to the web sites for each type of holistic practice and use their referral list to find one near to you. Many practitioners are members of only one or two of the organizations, so you do need to go to every site to find who is near you:   
1. Wide range of other treatments: www.AHVMA.org, American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association and www.civtedu.org.   
2. Homeopathic veterinarians (these can often help you by phone if no other holistic practitioners are nearby that you like): www.theAVH.org and www.DrPitcairn.com.
3. Chiropractor - www.animalchiropractic.org
4. TCVM (Acupuncture and Chinese medicine): www.IVAS.org, www.avaa.org & www.TCVM.com
5. Herbal - www.VBMA.org
6. Postural rehabilitation dogs and horses - http://www.posturalrehabvets.com/Postural_Rehabilitation/Find_a_Practitioner.htm
(a handful are in Europe)

See my site, www.MyHealthyAnimals.com for articles on Selecting and Working with Holistic Veterinarian, and & keys to health, and Early warning Signs of Internal Imbalance.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Christina Chambreau