Ask the Veterinarian/Information

Question
MY BABY
MY BABY  
Hello there. I was just a concerned citizen who really loves cats. I just to ask what disease or infection that the kitten(I'll attach a picture) just got. It have small maggots in her right eye. Its really many. The her lower right chin or jaw is swelling and now it have a hole. Its like decaying. She lost weight and she's now very very thin. Just the other day she was healthy and playing then I saw her like that. She's crying in pain.

I want to cure her but I dont know how. I love her. And I dont want her to be just like that. She has a sister and died a week ago just the same allergy or what that she have. Can I do something?

The picture that I will send was just captured today.

Answer
Hi Anna,

This kitten needs to see a veterinarian right away. I don't know what is going on with her but she is very ill and needs medical care. This is not something that can be done "at home."

Get her into see a vet right away to take care of this abscess under her chin and the maggots. Kittens can die very quickly from a maggot infestation.

She should be tested for feline viruses as well, such as leukemia, FIV, FIP and other ones. If her immune system is compromised from a virus she will have a hard time getting well.

Please get her to a veterinarian right away!!  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT