Ask the Veterinarian/mature dachsund nose bleeds

My dachsund is 10 yrs old and current with vaccinations. A few years I noticed a red spot on his nose. I thought it was from chasing lizards into the wooden fence. Thevspot has not changed in color or size. Approximately 2 months ago he started sneezing and it went from sneezing mucous to blood. His behavior didnt change. He went about his day as if nothing was wrong. It has not happened again. Hr sleeps with me and recently I'm finding blood on the sheets. Last night was bad. There were 3 half dollar size spots. Obviously we have to see the vet but can you tell me anything? I'm at a loss. Thank you.

Hi Angie,
I hope that you got your dog in to see the vet yesterday. I would be very concerned if my dog was bleeding from his nose.

Anytime a senior dog has a nasal discharge, bloody or not,it warrants immediate investigation via xrays, ultrasound or what ever method the vet prefers.

Nasal tumors are rare, but they do happen. I am not sure where the red spot on his nose was located so I can't even comment on that. Many dogs get sores on the nose from digging, but not knowing where it is located I can't tell you much.

I only know that you are right in getting him in to see the vet right away. Please let me know what your vet finds.

I will be thinking of him and you with good thoughts.

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.