Ask the Veterinarian/Vomiting cat

Question
Hello,
My cat is a 1 year old domestic short hair female cat. For about 36 hours she has been periodically vomiting up small amounts of clear liquid with some brown in it. She has eaten and drank only a little bit and seems to be acting pretty normal. She is still playing with our other cat. The only new items introduced to her are new cat toys, which I took away just In case, and she could have possibly eaten needles from our Christmas tree. However, I have never never caught her eating any foreign objects. It also appears that she has been going to the bathroom, although it is hard to be sure because I have 2 cats.

Answer
Any cat that vomits for three days and is around any kind of Christmas stuff needs to be seen by a vet right away. Foreign bodies might not get into the intestines in that time but will cause irritation of the GI tract going down, causing vomiting.
I know it's Sunday but you might want to call your vet if she is still vomiting and see if they have an after hours on-call vet you can speak with.

I would be very concerned if this was my cat. If you can get her to eat some soft, doughy bread (cooked) then it might help her, but I would very much get her in to see a vet right away.

If she has eaten something sharp, the bread can help coat it. But it might have passed the point where that will help now.

I don't mean to scare you but cats DO eat very odd things when they are young, especially things like strings, etc. THOSE are the most worrisome things of all. Ribbon, strings etc.

Please call your vet soon!!

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT