Ask the Veterinarian/Yorkshire Terrier Brown spots

Question
My male 6 year old Yorkie has brown spots scattered around his body ranging from the size of a pencil tip to a pencil eraser the spots are slightly elevated from the skin and were discovered whilst bathing him. He also likes to chew on his back if that's of any relavence. He will be taken to the vet in the next couple days but in the mean time i would like a few ideas of what it is and how, if possible to test what it is from home.Thanks.

Answer
There is no test for something like this. Most of the time these are just age spots and Yorkies tend to get quite a few of them. He could also have pigmentation spots from allergies, fleas etc.  

If they are not raised, bumpy, bleeding or other wise abnormal, I think waiting to see what the vet says they are is okay.

Chewing on the back is normally from fleas or from skin problems, such as atopic allergies. You should talk to your vet about flea control for the home and for him.

Hopefully the spots are benign and the chewing is easily solved.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT