Ask the Veterinarian/arthritis

I have a 15 year old sheltie mix.  She has arthritis hip back ,probably other places.  Has a had time getting up. won't do stairs. I carry her.  My vet gave her previcox.  I am concerned about nsaid but omega 3, some supplements not doing much. Making her food. Anything appreciated

Previcox is one of the best NSAIDS for arthritic dogs with the least amount of side effects.  I use it all the time and my clients have called it the "fountain of Youth" drug. Omega 3 fatty acids also help, but they can take 30-45 days before you will see any effect.  When Previcox alone does not help, I will add another type of pain reliever like Tramadol or Gabapentin.  If there is any degeneration in any of the joints, then I will also use injections of Adequan twice weekly for 2 weeks then monthly.  Ask your vet about these additional suggestions.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf

Dermatology and ear diseases of dogs and cats

I am the author of "Small Animal Ear Diseases; An Illustrated Guide" published by W.B. Saunders. I have over 25 years of clinical experience with a special interest in dermatologic conditions and ear diseases.

American Academy of Veterinary Dermatology

Veterinary Forum
Veterinary Medicine
Waltham Focus