Ask the Veterinarian/Cat Abscess

QUESTION: My cat had an abscess and it healed over. Now it is swollen again and the skin is bluish/Gray. I was wondering if I could do anything before taking him to the vet, That might help to prevent a vet bill. Thanks so much!

ANSWER: Hi Elizabeth,

The skin is blue-gray because that little patch is dead and is getting ready to rupture again and cover something in your house with pus.

The problem with abscesses is that they need antibiotics to heal from the inside out. When an abscess ruptures on it's own it's never fully cleaned out deep inside the tissues.

So in a week or so the skin heals on the outside, trapping all of that bacteria again, which then fills it with dead white cells (pus).

He needs to have it drained, cleaned out and a 10 day course of antibiotics given to him orally.

That's the only way to get rid of it for good. If he isn't neutered make sure you get him neutered as neutered cats don't fight as much. Also, cats that fight can get leukemia and other deadly viruses from the bite wounds.

They are also exposed to rabies this way as well, which then puts you at risk.

So call your vet soon and get him in!

QUESTION: Yes it actually ruptured again today. I kind of figured it was dead skin. I have cleaned it and wrapped it. I have given him a natural antibiotic. Thanks so much! Also I was wondering he's already had his shots so is he still at risk for FeLV and rabies? And yet another question, he is an outdoor cat but he comes inside. Lately he's had like these temper tantrums. One minute he's purring the next he's like a wildcat. One time his pupils got dismayed when I reached down to pick up my other cat and he attacked my arm. It sounds completely crazy but it's really scary when he does it. Is it because he's hurt and not neutered? Thanks again!

All of these behaviors are due to him not being neutered. Fighting, temper tantrums (which can become violent)biting etc, are all because he is a tom cat.

He will not last long as a tomcat. Do him and yourself a favor and get him neutered asap.
He will thank you and so will your skin.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.