Ask the Veterinarian/Cat behavior

QUESTION: Hello, I  need your help. My short hair orange tabby cat of 4 yrs old has had some peculiar behavior as of late. 2 things- Charlie (male neutered) has been climbing on 2 tables that he never did before (he has authority to climb on almost everything else), my husband's table and my table plus hes been meowing both at night at bedtime and in the early a.m. hours like an hr before waking up- VERY annoying. Can you please tell me why hes doing this and how to stop the behavior? I contacted a local Petsmart and they didn't know what to do about the meowing but said to try and lay tin foil or double sided tape down on the edges of the table. What do you suggest? Thank you.

ANSWER: Hi Jennifer,

Meowing like this all of a sudden can be from many things. He could be having some medical issues, such as a urinary tract infection, so he is getting more vocal to let you know he is having a problem.

However, more likely is that there could be some new (stray) cats that he is seeing outside during the day, and he is voicing his displeasure at this. Some cats start spraying the house, even though they are neutered. Stray cats outside can really stress out some cats.

Another this is that maybe when he was neutered they didn't get both testicles and he is experiencing a springtime surge of hormones. As odd as it sounds, we have seen this happen.

He could be completely neutered and having hormonal issues as well.

This type of vocalization is more common in older cats that are experiencing a lessening of hearing, or vision. Since he is only 4, and this is an unusual behavior, I would strongly suggest that you get him to the vets and have a very thorough exam done on him. Eyes, ears, heart, bladder etc.

PetMD has pretty much the same thing to say that I just did, but you might want to read it since it has suggestions as well:

Disruptive Crying and Meowing in Cats

Excessive vocalization refers to uncontrollable, excessive meowing or crying, often occurring at inappropriate times of the night or day. Such vocalization can be due to pain, illness, cognitive dysfunction syndrome (CDS), or may be related to a decline in hearing in senior pets.

CDS is often associated with night waking, during which excessive vocalization occurs. Excessive meowing may also be related to behavioral conditions, which may be controlled by behavior modification training.

Cat breeds that are naturally high energy may be prone to excess meowing. Oriental cat breeds, like the Siamese, may be more prone to excessive vocalization. Intact cats, both male and female, are also very vocal during estrus and mating.

Symptoms and Types

Night vocalizations in senior age cats
   Vocalization during breeding and estrus in cats
   Excessive mewing in high energy cats
   Vocalization caused by pain or illness
   Vocalization disruptive to owners or others

Medical: disease, pain, CDS
   Anxiety or conflict
   Social or attention-seeking behavior that is reinforced by verbal commands or return of owner to room
   Distress vocalization (e.g. yowling or whining) often due to separation from mother, family, social group or owner; may be a grieving behavior
   Growling may be associated with antagonistic displays (not just confined to dogs, also occurs with cats)
   Mating, sexual behavior
   Breed genetic characteristics

If the increased vocalization is out of the ordinary for your cat, you will want to have health problems ruled out before considering behavior modification. Your veterinarian can perform a full medical work-up, including a chemical blood profile, complete blood count (CBC), urinalysis and electrolyte panel, along with a complete physical exam. Possible incidents that might have led to this condition will also be considered, and a thorough history of your cat's behavioral health leading up to the symptoms will be taken into account.

It is critical to rule out a non-behavioral, physical cause of the vocalization first. Imaging can be helpful for ruling out medical/neurological disorders, and BAER (brainstem auditory evoked response) testing can be done if auditory decline is suspected.

A plan must be created which is customized to suit your cat and your personal living conditions, your household, and the type of problem, being sure to attempt to resolve the underlying cause before behavioral modifications are begun.

Do not reinforce the vocalization. This means not picking your cat up when it is meowing, but also includes not punishing the behavior, which is still regarded as attention. Instead, positively reward your cat when it is calm and quiet and lead by example by remaining calm as well. Also, counter-condition your cat to calm down when stimulated. Training your cat to be quiet on command will be the priority.

To prevent your cat from becoming accustomed to the attention received by barking or crying, a quiet response can be reinforced using disruptive devices such as alarms or water sprayers. Becoming more attentive to the triggers that cause your cat to meow excessively will help you to distract your cat before it becomes excited or anxious.

Medications might be indicated if there is real anxiety, conflict, excessive responsiveness to stimuli or a compulsive disorder:

Benzodiazepines on a short-term or as-needed basis when situations of anxiety might be expected or for inducing sleep
   Sedatives may be effective for tranquilizing the cat prior to exposure to stimuli (e.g., car rides, fireworks), but will not decrease anxiety
   Tricyclic antidepressants (TCA) or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) for long-term therapy for excessive and chronic anxiety, combined with behavior modification can be useful for some cats
   SSRIs or clomipramine may help when combined with behavior therapy for compulsive disorders.

Living and Management

You may need to return with your cat to the veterinarian or to a behavior specialist to modify the program based on your cat's particular response. Obedience training and quiet command training are often effective in cats. Cats should be habituated and socialized to a variety of stimuli and environments throughout development, including to other people and pets. This desensitizes the cat to novel experiences, reducing anxiety, and over-excitation.

I hope that you find an answer soon- I known how disruptive this can be. The table jumping is most likely a by product of this issue. When they are distressed like this, for whatever reason, which table they jump on is the least of their concerns!

Please let me know what the vet finds and how he does.

QUESTION: From what youre telling me, it sounds like the best solution is to take my cat to the vet and get him completely checked out, am I correct?

Hi Jennifer,

Yes that is what I am telling you because this behavior might be a medical issue. If it's not, then you can move on to behavioral corrections.

It is unusual for a cat of this age to have this type of erratic behavior, unless there are outside stimuli such as stray cats in the yard, etc. as I explained.

So a very through exam is warranted here. I hope you and your vet get to the bottom of this quickly.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.