Ask the Veterinarian/Cats Swollen Nipple

Question
My female adult cat who is NOT pregnant has one swollen nipple. It is pink and maybe 2x larger than her other nipples. She has been licking it everyday and for the past couple weeks it has looked the same. Not better or worse. I don't know if there is something wrong or if it is the constant licking that is causing the irritation. Other than the grooming of that area, she is behaving normally. Thank you for your help!

Answer
It could very well be swollen from her licking it.  If al of the others are normal, then you might ask your vet if the cat can have a shot of a long acting steroid to decrease any swelling or itching.  If she leaves it alone, it may recede.  There is a chance that there could be a small tumor mass within the teat and you should have a vet look at it to be sure of what this might be.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf