Ask the Veterinarian/Dog not waking up

Question
we brought my 3 1/2 month puppy in to get spayed around 9 and the vet said her heart stopped beating and had to give shots to revive her when we picked her up at 3. They said this could be due to heart or liver problems or side affects of the anesthesia. she has been drowsy and continually sleeping we have tried to feed her and give her water but she wont take it willingly so we forced it down her throat. we also gave her the pain medicine. We called the people who did it and they said to give her sugar water but thats it. We are worried about her and think we should go to an E.R/ emergency room. Please help its been about 8-10 hours.

Answer
Well it's never advisable to pick up a spay the same day as the surgery. They should be allowed to recover under the watchful eyes of the vet and the technicians there at the hospital. So right there, their policy that allows that isn't right.

She is SUPPOSED To be drowsy etc after surgery and that can last for up to 15 hours.
However, the next day she should be up and about but she might have some pain issues, although that isn't common.

If she is indeed still sluggish then I would take her back into your vets today and have them do a workup on her and find out what the problem is.

If you don't trust your vet then find another one. There are plenty of good vets out there but also some not so great ones. Ask your families friends where they go and recommend.

Word of mouth really works. Since I am not sure when you sent this- I just got it, please let me know if she is still this way or better now.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT