Ask the Veterinarian/Kitten can't walk

I have a kitten, she is just under a month old, female, and has  not been checked by a vet as of this point in time, as we can not afford one. She has Siamese in her, but I know she is a mix breed, and don't know what other types she might be.

My kitten started walking at around two weeks of age, and has been walking, running, and climbing on chairs since. She still feeds from her Mother, and was born pre-mature.

My kitten (who we haven't agreed on a name for) stopped walking two days ago. She'd been fine in the morning, but when I came home from school, I brought her out into the lounge-room, for a change of scenery (she'd been locked in my room as per usual with her mother) but instead of getting to her feet, she tried (and failed) to pull herself forward with her forelegs, her back legs dragging weakly behind her.

She is a bit better now, but she seems to have lost the use of her back paws. She can move her legs, and has some strength in them, not as much as before, but some.

I do know the mother has been a little aggressive towards her kitten, though according to she was just playing. Not so sure now. The kitten was the mothers first, and an only child.

I did read up, that the kittens immobility, may be because of diabetes, but we think maybe the kitten is too young for that. But we don't know.

Do you know what might be wrong?

Hi Darcy,
I am sorry to hear about your kitty. I would get this kitten in to see a vet as soon as you can.
Kittens don't have a lot of reserve to work with when they get ill so they can go downhill very quickly and die.

I know you don't want that to happen so please find a way to get this kitten to the vets. Pets are a responsibility and when we take on the responsibility of owning one, that means that we find the means and ways to pay for medical care for our furry family members.

Kittens can have so many things happen to them- and it might not even be from the kitten. She could have been born with leukemia if her mother has never been tested or vaccinated.
She could have hurt herself somehow or her mothers might have bitten her on the back.
That will cause a loss of the use of her legs.

In either case, I cannot tell you what's wrong online. You need her to be seen by a vet, and the sooner the better.

Please call and make an appointment for her right away.

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.