Ask the Veterinarian/Medication regimen

Hi Jana,  Following up on the question I asked on 2/20 about the feral cat we're caring for. I understand that you're not a licensed vet, but I value your thoughts on the med regimen prescribed by our vet.  
We've had this little guy for a couple months now.  He's been recently neutered, has a severe eye infection, round worms and liquid diarrhea.  We can't get a look at the suture site from his neuter, so have no idea how it's healing.  
Our vet has given us four meds:  Cipro, Flagyl, Prednisone - all tablets, and liquid fenbendazole for the parasites.  
This is the schedule our vet recommended:  Cipro is the priority, given twice daily, then Flagyl as an intestinal antibiotic, given once daily for diarrhea.  The Pred should be held until the diarrhea is cleared up.  The de-wormer should be held until other meds are completed.
Isn't it possible that the diarrhea could be worsened by the antibiotics?  And don't round worms cause diarrhea?
Interested in your thoughts about this schedule.
Thank you again!

Well, I get some of the schedule, but what are the antibiotics for? The eye? The diarrhea is possibly from roundworms but he might also have coccidia,in that case the Flagyl will help with that some but it normally requires Albon to kill it since it's a protozoan and not just a worm. Flagyl will kill Giardia in case he has that, and maybe that's what the vet is guessing he has. It causes severe diarrhea and both the Cipro and Flagyl will knock that out.

I think the schedule is fine. You can always give him some Kefir (not yogurt) while he is on the antibiotics but you would be better off getting him some PRObiotics at the vets office. That will help him re-populate his gut with good bacteria which will then help him be stronger all the way around.

I sure hope this cat was tested for Leukemia when he was neutered! It would be a shame to put so much into a cat with a fatal virus lurking in his blood.

So yes, stick to the schedule but get some probiotics or some KEFIR for his gut. Give just an 1/8 or a cup or a few tablespoons of the kefir daily. Get plain since cats don't like sweet things.

I hope he gets well soon!!

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.