Ask the Veterinarian/shih tzu

My puppy its 8 weeks.I give her treats for training.She throw 2times today.
I give her chicken flavor treats the first ingredient is pork liver, what is going on?

Training treats are extremely high in salt, sugars and chemicals to make those "chicken flavors."
Your dog doesn't know the difference between a treat and a small piece of her own food when you give it to her once piece at a time during training.

We recommend just using her dry dog food as her treats. I never bought one single commercial treat for my dogs in the 17 years I had them. They ate carrots instead of treats for a daily snack.

Just use one piece of her food each time she does a command. She will look forward to those just as much as something that is really bad for her.

With the unexplained deaths of over 600 dogs nationwide with treats I don't know how anyone could go out and buy them for their dog.

Stick to her food. Shih Tzu's are small dogs and small dogs in general cam be more sensitive to
digestive problems such as gastritis, pancreatitis, etc. Don't tempt fate and cause her to have these problems early on.

Stick her to her own food, which hopefully is of HIGH quality and NOT Purina Puppy Chow. Make sure you feed her High quality food to build a healthy foundation for her now that she can live on for the next 16 years.

We feed and recommend Science Diet Small Breed Puppy Growth to give her the best start in life that she can have.

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.