Ask the Veterinarian/4 year old maine coon female problems with vaccinations

Question
My four year old female Maine Coon  cat seems to be having a reaction to her vaccinations.  Brought her in on Friday day 1 for Rabies 1 year shot, DRTC + LEUK w/CALICIVAX, PROFENDER - large cat (she weights 12.4 lb) She does not have worms but this is what the Vet gives all cats.  She would not eat Friday evening or Saturday day 2.  Sunday day 3 she was eating and playing a little.  On Monday day 4 we woke up to 6 spots of vomit.  She continued to vomit 6 more times.  Back to Vet and she received a shot of CERENIA 8.9-11#, no fever.  Stopped vomiting but was lethargic and would not eat or drink.  on Wednesday day 5 (2 1/2 days not eating) went back to Vet and they did a Chemistry Panel - 6, gave her fluids Subcutaneous Therapy, force feeder her 60 cc.  Nothing seems to be physically wrong.  Brought her home still will not eating, drinking, is lethargic, but purrs when petted. On Thursday day 6 her stomach was very hard, tried to feed her then she threw up a lot.  We waited 3 hours then started force feeding her about 9 cc every 2 hours for a total of 45 cc and she kept it down.  Vet does not know what is wrong.  She says her only experience with vaccine side effects is fever & hives.  This was the most friendly cat, followed us all around the house & yard, loved to eat & play.  We are still force feeding her 72 cc a day and today is Sunday 9.  Do you have any ideas of what to do now?

Answer
Hi Patti,
To be honest this is pretty much outside of my realm of suggestions. Most vets would say give it some time but maybe you need to have her seen by a feline practitioner.

I am a vet tech, not a vet, and this is very unusual case which may or may not be related to the vaccinations.

I would HIGHLY suggest that you contact the manufactures of the vaccines she received- ALL of them. They WANT to know about ANY adverse reactions and will sometimes pay for treatments.

So please, contact them right away and I would highly recommend someone who specializes in feline medicine. They are more likely to have seen such a case.

I sincerely hope she gets well fast, but in the meantime, be proactive and call those companies.

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT