Ask the Veterinarian/Cat question

My female cat has always been indoors, is at least 12 years old and overweight. About a week ago she stopped eating and using the litter box other urinating. No food will tempt her, soft foods or the sensitive dry food that she has been eating for years. She is sleeping a lot more and does not seem to be in any pain. I am inclined to just let nature take its course.

I'm sorry but what is your question?

"Letting nature take it's course" is an understandable alternative for a cat that has no chance of recovery- but since you don't even know what is wrong with her, that is if she hasn't been to the vets for a diagnosis, then really it's more neglect when we do nothing to help our pets.

You don't know if she is in pain. Cats don't tell us when they are. If her kidneys are failing she is getting toxic from an accumulation of poisons that are not being filtered out by her kidneys. That will make her not eat and lie around. Fluids can help her with that.

She might just have gastritis, or a digestive problem that she needs a little medication for.
Or she might have kidney, liver or heart failure. But if this was my cat I would at the very least have a vet look at her and let me know what is going on.

Letting her die on her own can be a very long, painful process or it might be two days and she is gone.

When we take on a pet it's our responsibility to take care of them- including end of life or end of suffering decisions. But make the decision after you're well informed. That's the kindest thing to do for her.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.