Ask the Veterinarian/my cat Squeaky

My cat has been lethargic and not eating or drinking since yesterday morning.  She is 1 /2 years old.  The only shot she has gotten is rabies shot.  She is not laying in her usual spot either.  She is laying in the spare bedroom like she wants to be left be.  I keep checking on her but don't know what to do for her.  Maybe she was bitten by an insect?  She doesn't seem to be hurting but all she's doing is laying water.  And none of that is like her.  Thank you

It's very likely that she has picked up a virus since she hasn't had any vaccinations. These are airborne so she doesn't even need to be outside to get sick.

You cannot wait too long with a cat that won't eat or drink, or they can get deathly ill very fast. Young cats have even less of a reserve.

Please get her into your vet and have her looked over. Make sure she is tested for leukemia and vaccinated once she is better. She will need at least two sets of vaccinations once she is well, but she won't get well unless you get her in to see a vet- like tomorrow.

Don't wait!  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.