Ask the Veterinarian/pet sitting a dog with seizures

Greetings, in a few days I will be pet sitting 2 dogs and one of them is 7 years old and has a history of seizures. According to the owner, the dog hasn't had any seizures since 3 months ago and they are better under control with potassium bromide. She will leave me liquid valium as the dog had once a seizure lasting 10 minutes and it helped. I am a bit worried about this dog because stress can cause seizures I have heard. My biggest concern is a seizure lasting more than 5 minutes and the Valium not working. If this would happen in the night or on a Sunday, the only emergency vet is 1 hour and a half away, could a dog die within this time frame while going to the vet? Then again, perhaps I over worry, the owner works every day for 8 hours and told me the dog is crated alone for that time, so if he had a seizure nobody would be there to help him in those 8 hours. Yet, this dog is in my care and I worry for the pets left in my care. Thank you!

All you can do is what the owner has told you to do. Keep a veterinarians phone number on hand, and make sure you go over her instructions with her at least twice.

It's very, very rare for a dog to die from seizures. Make sure you do not give too much valium. That is the biggest concern. Also, it is not common for a dog to have ten minute seizures either, so that's less likely to happen again.

Make sure you are diligent about giving his meds at the right time each day. Ask the owner what time she give them.

Ask her about what triggers the seizures and make note of that. Keep excitement down to a minimum is that is a trigger for this dog. Sometimes loud noises, video games and certain foods can cause seizures in dogs prone to them.

You can always ask your own vet if he/she would be a backup vet for you if they are closer.

While it is good to be concerned about the pets left in your care, just relax and have fun with them!  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.