Ask the Veterinarian/pregnant cats

I went to get my 3 cats fixed because they are entirely outside cats.  Brought them to the vet, was told I actually have 3 females and two of them are pregnant.

I have an area set up upside for them with water, food, warm beds, heating lamp, etc. I have a fenced in yard and there are two spots they can still squeeze my question is, should I close those two spots so they are confined to just the fenced in part and if one has kittens first, will the other two try and harm her kittens?

My three cats are all from the same litter. They have been together since day one. So they trust each other very much and are always by each others side. Will this be the same during labor and delivery?

I would do just that- make sure they cannot get out as they will seek a dark area not in the open to have these kittens.

It's highly doubtful that the other two will hurt them. I hope you got the third one spayed!

They will not be around the sibling having babies at the time of delivery but they might take turns nursing each others babies and cleaning them.

I sure hope that you can find good homes for all of them. Pray for small litters. Next time make sure your cats are spayed by the age of 4 months, since that's when they can start getting pregnant.

Good luck!

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.