Ask the Veterinarian/repellent

Question
QUESTION: Hello, First I like animals please don't misunderstand.  I love cats I love dogs, I love my bird feeder and I even think the squirrels I get and chipmunks i get are adorable.  Being a Veternarian, I didn't want you to get the wrong idea. that I'm an animal hater.I'm not.... Is it true that citrus, ammonia and white vinegar are good dog repellents.  As much as I love animals I don't like the mess in my yard.  or near a garden.
I understand if you douse coffee filters with white vinegar or ammonia, and dry them then cut them into strips place them around it will help repel dogs thank you.

ANSWER: Well I don't know if any of that is true and I don't see a question in here at that.

The only thing I know that will repel dogs is a fence. Plain and simple. There are millions spent each year on repellents and for the most part they don't work, but they sure get people to buy them. If fencing your yard isn't an alternative then try to just fence off your garden. Most places have leash laws and if dogs are running loose and eliminating on your lawn then call your local animal control.

You can try all the vinegar, ammonia and coffee filters you want to, however. If they work, let us know!

QUESTION: I'm writing back because I gave you the full rating, but it didn't seem to go through. And wanted you to know that I did rate the answer.I notice you said I don't see a question in here, I thought when I asked if it was true re; the repellents I heard about.  that was the question,Sorry I may have not worded it correctly, thank you for your reply.

Answer
Thank you Jan, it did go through. I know that dogs and cats both can be a problem with messing on your lawn. It's just so hard to keep them off without fencing.

I think it's sad that there are so many products out there and people buy them but they don't work! Marketing geniuses, however, can get people to buy anything.

Don't waste your money! Even small fencing around the perimeter of a garden or the lawn will keep out most dogs- but not cats.

I do hope you can find a useful way of keeping them out.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT