Ask the Veterinarian/Walking problem & forelimb tremors

Question
My dog Cameron is just 7 years old and was for the first 2 years of his life in a rescue centre.  He is a cross between a greyhound and maybe a black lab.  He is tall and weighs 27 kilos.When we adopted him, I specified that we wanted a not too energetic animal, not prone to barking much and who would not try and escape by jumping over our 1 metre high fence.  We had a hunting dog before who we could never keep in.  Cameron was described as gentle and very 'chilled out'.  He was perfect for us.  Up until the last year, he has been happy to walk off lead on a country walk of 40 minutes in the morning and 20-30 in the afternoon.  However, although used to him always trailing a bit behind, enjoying the different animal smells everywhere, he has began to show weakness in the front legs which almost seem to buckle at times and tremble.  He has had various blood tests for which have proved negative for leishmania etc,and a couple of X rays which show a normal, spine, pelvis and normal- sized heart.  We are not well off and cannot afford to keep on with tests.  The dog is happy basically, but does not want to do much more than sleep and eat moderately.  We are wondering if we should leave him at home when we go for a walk because we are always having to stop for him and I donīt know if he will be able to face the heat when winter passes as we live in southern Spain and he is already struggling when the sun comes out.  What would you advise that we do?

Answer
Hi Ida,

I do understand the issue of not affording test after test, but this is truly a mystery. I am wondering if he doesn't have Wobbler's syndrome however. It usually affects the hind limbs but can affect both the front and rear legs. Has he been tested for heartworms?

I would certainly NOT take him for anymore walks until this is solved. You are best to leave him home where it's cool and he isn't being pushed beyond his limits.

You might want to do some research online for Wobbler's syndrome as well.
http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/neurological/c_dg_wobbler_syndrome  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT