You are here:

Ask the Veterinarian/Walking problem & forelimb tremors


My dog Cameron is just 7 years old and was for the first 2 years of his life in a rescue centre.  He is a cross between a greyhound and maybe a black lab.  He is tall and weighs 27 kilos.When we adopted him, I specified that we wanted a not too energetic animal, not prone to barking much and who would not try and escape by jumping over our 1 metre high fence.  We had a hunting dog before who we could never keep in.  Cameron was described as gentle and very 'chilled out'.  He was perfect for us.  Up until the last year, he has been happy to walk off lead on a country walk of 40 minutes in the morning and 20-30 in the afternoon.  However, although used to him always trailing a bit behind, enjoying the different animal smells everywhere, he has began to show weakness in the front legs which almost seem to buckle at times and tremble.  He has had various blood tests for which have proved negative for leishmania etc,and a couple of X rays which show a normal, spine, pelvis and normal- sized heart.  We are not well off and cannot afford to keep on with tests.  The dog is happy basically, but does not want to do much more than sleep and eat moderately.  We are wondering if we should leave him at home when we go for a walk because we are always having to stop for him and I donīt know if he will be able to face the heat when winter passes as we live in southern Spain and he is already struggling when the sun comes out.  What would you advise that we do?

Hi Ida,

I do understand the issue of not affording test after test, but this is truly a mystery. I am wondering if he doesn't have Wobbler's syndrome however. It usually affects the hind limbs but can affect both the front and rear legs. Has he been tested for heartworms?

I would certainly NOT take him for anymore walks until this is solved. You are best to leave him home where it's cool and he isn't being pushed beyond his limits.

You might want to do some research online for Wobbler's syndrome as well.  

Ask the Veterinarian

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jana Connell RVT, CVT


PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!


I have over 42 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love. I also Teach Veterinary Technology to working technicians who are studying to take their California Tests to become Licensed Technicians. They have to take both the VTNE (Veterinary Technician National Exam) and the California boards.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.


Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 1500 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Awards and Honors
Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.

©2017 All rights reserved.