You are here:

Ask the Veterinarian/I have a very weak and sick puppy please help some one the details are in the question .


Hello, I happen to rescue a puppy from the woods behind my house today and the mother has been dead i guess for 3 days so did the pups who were born with the one i rescued. Im sure the mom was poisoned by the watchmen in our colony. BTW i forgot to mention i am from india well, the pup seemed very weak and it is not able to walk properly basically it walks looks very stiff. I fed her regular dairy milk boiled and cooled down to room temperature she drank but she vomited the whole thing and it looked curdled later it drank water and some more milk and it vomited again. she looks very dehydrated but the nose is still moist this must be the first time she is drinking dairy milk Please let me know what i can do. - Nikhil Bharadwaj

First you need to stop feeding this puppy milk. They cannot drink cows milk. You didn't mention how big the puppy is, or if the eyes are open etc. It might be too young to walk for one thing.

Feed the puppy some cooled cooked ground turkey or beef mixed with a little boiled rice, and a little corn syrup or sugar in it. The sugar will help with her blood sugar being low.

Once it gets some strength and seems like it's going to make then get her on some puppy food asap so she can have a balanced diet. Home cooked food is not good for them in the long run because it's hard to make them a balanced diet.

The pup really should see a veterinarian especially if the mom was poisoned and the pups were nursing from her. Puppies are born with worms as well so she will need to be wormed, and vaccinated by the vet and put on heartworm prevention.

Please get her to a vet as soon as you. If she pulls through you will have a friend for life.  

Ask the Veterinarian

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jana Connell RVT, CVT


PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!


I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Awards and Honors
Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.

©2016 All rights reserved.