Ask the Veterinarian/Yucca Schidigera

I have been given my dog glucosamine ( how much glucosamine should a 5 lbs dog have a day?) since the vet recommended it since my dog has a knee cap problem. It pops back in and out. Vet says she does not require surgery now.
My dog is 4 years old and other than that is very healthy.
But I had heard of this great product that is called Yucca Schidigera. Would this be good to give my dog? And what is the dosage recommended?

This company sells the Yucca just for pets. I don't know how it will do much good for a luxating patella, which is what your dogs has, but it does reduce inflammation in the joint, so it might help.

Most dogs require surgery for this condition because it's physical issue- the groove that the knee cap slides up and down on is too shallow in your dog- and it's very, very common in little dogs.

So the knee cap (patella) keeps popping in and out. Glucosamine does the same thing with the added benefit of it helping to regrow some cartilage.

Just be warned that in many little dogs, they will have to have both knees done. The reason is that once they favor one for a while it stresses the other one, plus that other one already has the same issue.

I don't have the dosage for the glucosamine here but your bottle should tell you.

Here is the link to the product- which is Canadian by the way.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.