Ask the Veterinarian/cat problem

my cat is about 12 years old and his left eye or cheek is swollen he doesn't want to eat or drink this is the third day and i think it is getting worse yesterday he did not attempt to eat at all and the day before yesterday he just ate his canned food and after that tried to give him a treat spat it out and from then he didn't eat anything until today i tried to give him at least a treat he looked like he wanted to eat it but when he did try he automatically spat it out and started hissing and growling so i was wondering if you have any idea what this might be?

we will most likely go to the vet today but i just want someones opinion in advance

I strongly suspect it is an infected tooth root. the big back molar has three roots that are very long and can get infected.  The conventional approach is to do surgery to remove the tooth with all 3 roots. Rarely do antibiotics help. the holistic approach would be to use homeopathy or acupuncture to cure the problem, often without having to remove the tooth.

To keep your cat healthy for many long years (one I know lived to 34), feed a raw meat diet with lots of variety, never dry food and rarely canned. Do not vaccinate, especially now, when ill. Avoid the use of chemicals like flea products, house or yard products. Learn Reiki or other energy healing methods.  More is on my web site -

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Christina Chambreau

I can give you the holistic approach to any problem, mostly for dogs and cats and some farm animals and horses. Depending on the condition and the type of animal, I will be able to give very specific treatment suggestions such as what flower essences, homeopathic remedies, nutritional supplements, diet changes, lifestyle changes or herbs that may be helpful - not drugs. I can also suggest where you can go for further education or to find a specialist in a specific holistic field. I can help you understand why your animal is ill and what improvements can be expected. I do not check messages more than every one to two days, so PLEASE DO NOT ask about EMERGENCIES - call your local veterinarian. I cannot diagnose your animal. I cannot prescribe specific treatments. I am no longer very current with conventional treatments, so cannot answer questions on those. I am not an expert on birds or small critters. I am not an expert in breeding, birthing or babies.

I graduated from the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine in 1980 and began using homeopathy in my practice after a client introduced me to it. By 1988 I was using exclusively holistic treatments. I began lecturing in 1987 and have spoken at veterinary conferences, health food stores, people's homes, churches, veterinary college conferences - anywhere people want to learn more about keeping their animals healthy.

Academy of Veterinary Homeopathy (I helped found this one) American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association National Center for Homeopathy American Veterinary Medical Association

I have written in many magazines, journals and newspapers. A few include Bark Magazine; Journal of the AHVMA; Baltimore Dog Magazine; Whole Dog Journal; Tiger Tribe; Wolf Clan. I have also been frequently interviewed on radio and TV. I am Associate Editor for the Integrative Veterinary Care Journal, so often have articles there.

Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) Certified Veterinary Homeopath (CVH)