Ask the Veterinarian/dog peeing

Question
I have a soon to be 3 year old Morkie, not neutered ( I don't believe in it - I am a responsible dog owner) We can not get him to stop peeing in the house. (We also have a 90 pound un-neutred mutt - they are the best of friends and I just had a baby) We got him at 8 weeks and we lived in an apartment - which made it challenging - I tried everything to potty train him.  We moved into a house and I thought perfect we will potty train again and it will be easier with the doggie door.  But we are still having potty issues. And they seem to be getting worse.  It used to be that he would just do it at night - so we left the light on outside thinking he didn't want to go in the dark by himself, or he would do it when we were gone, then it was he would potty in the house for like 3 weeks and then 1 week he would't potty in the house - almost like a PMS/menstral cycle.  He used to only do it at night or when we were gone but now I will walk out of a room and then come back a little later and he's peed in there, and a lot of times its right by the doggie door.  I have never seen him pee in the house - I feel like if I could see him do it I could correct it - he knows he's not suppose to I can look at him and he knows when I go to get the cleaner out that I found where he peed.  I've tried everything - treats, no treats, kennel timeouts, scolding, staying outside, pheromones, ignoring it, showing it to him, the list goes on.  I know some of it is marking his territory - I'm just wondering if there is any way to correct that without neutering? He does potty outside too, the majority is outside.

Answer
Hi Elle,
Congratulations on your new baby. Sleep while you can.:-)

I am going to try and answer your question as tactfully as I can, and that won't be easy for me as a vet tech (vet tech = pet advocate).

First of all, your statement "not neutered ( I don't believe in it - I am a responsible dog owner)" is an oxymoron in the world of pets.

While I truly believe that you don't let your dogs run loose all over impregnating other dog owners bitches that are not spayed, the fact is that RESPONSIBLE  owners are the ones that do spay and neuter their pets- no other options. Unless they are purebred show dogs that will be used for breeding, then anything less is not being responsible.  You stated that both were mixes. So that's not the issue here.

Now, having said that, your dogs will NOT stop peeing all over simply because they are not neutered. They have no reason NOT to pee all over. That's a fact.  

Outside they smell much, much more than you or I can. They can smell a dog in heat three miles away- good reason to lift a leg all over the place right there. They can smell other dogs- neutered or not, in the neighborhood - more reasons to lift legs all over the place.

Yes they are marking territory left and right. And it will not stop. They have a full range of hormones that will keep them marking, marking, marking. They have no reason (in their minds) to stop. They are driven by instinct and that is driven even more by hormones.  

Did you know that over 65% of dogs that are hit by cars are un-neutered males seeking bitches in heat 3 miles away or more? Fact.

Did you know that un-neutered males have a much higher rate of prostate cancer, cancers of the rectum, peritoneum, colon and even breast cancers? Fact.

So your problem isn't just a behavioral issue, it's a physical (hormonal,etc.) issue that won't go away until these dogs are neutered.

I am sorry that I didn't give you the answer you were looking for, and I think that you already know that this is the problem as you hinted to it yourself.

I am curious as to why you don't believe in it. I hope that you believe in giving these dogs heartworm medicine, keeping them vaccinated, especially in Texas.

http://www.petsandparasites.org/expert-insights/heartworm-disease-forecast-conti

This year is going to be one of the worst for all parasites for dogs and cats- heartworm, ticks and fleas. Not to mention tick-borne diseases as well.

http://www.wtsp.com/story/entertainment/television/studio10/2014/04/25/pets/8095

If you truly want to solve this problem without doing what is best for your dogs and having them both neutered, then you will probably have to consult a dog behavior specialist and use drugs to stop them. That to me, sounds a lot worse then a one-time cure of neutering.

Good luck!  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT