Ask the Veterinarian/Dog - sick after surgery-

My dog is a silky yorkie maltese and he is 6 years old. Five days ago he had two teeth extracted and his booster vaccines. It took him two days to be back to normal,  however by the third day he regressed. He vomitted and had diarrhea.  He did not want to drink or eat. We took him to the vet but all they did was give him fluids and more anti- diarrheal medication even though he only vomited and diarrhea once. He is still really lethargic eating and drinking a bit more. This morning he started smelling where the wall and floor meet and would nog stop...corners as well. I am running out of answers and all the vet wants to do is stick him with needles.

Thank you

Hi Arcadia,

It's pretty normal for a dog to feel punk after these types of treatments. I am glad that they gave him fluids, but he might even need more. Yes, they want to stick needles in him because that's how you give a dog medications and fluids. It doesn't hurt them the way it hurts us. Their skin is very loose in most places and that's where they inject him unless they use an IV right into a vein.

I wouldn't worry about the wall smelling, he might be just a bit out of it still, or he found something that smells good. Sometimes they can smell ant trails that way.

If he isn't eating or drinking still then you should take him back and have his kidney and liver functions checked. Dogs with impaired liver, kidney or even heart functions are going to have a much harder time coming out of anesthesia. The vaccinations might also be making him lethargic anyway, so it appears that both are when it might just be the vaccinations.

Hopefully he is on heartworm prevention. That's another way to keep his heart healthy.

I hope he recovers quickly and is back to his old self. If not, call your vet again.

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.