Ask the Veterinarian/parvo

I just rescued a little pit bull puppy and the lady  that had him said he was current on his shots besides the second parvo shot here at home now for today his third night on the second day I noticed the signs of parvo and on the third day got his shot in him. I am very worried about dehydration I still can't get him to keep anything I force down and I an worried I'll hurt him if I force him to drink to much Gatorade is what  I have been using Please help me  with any ideas but I can not afford the vet he was an unexpected blessing so I an not budgeted for him

Hi Valerie,
This is very confusing to me since it's one long sentence with no punctuation. That makes it very hard to figure out what you are trying to tell me. What do you mean that you got his shots in him? What "shot?" Did you give him two parvo vaccinations in three days? How old is this puppy?

Giving a sick puppy a vaccination for what he might (parvo etc) have is a waste of money, plus it won't do anything for him since he is already sick with the disease.  Right now he needs supportive care, and that doesn't mean pouring gaterade down his throat. If he is vomiting over and over and has diarrhea as well he WILL dehydrate very fast and go downhill very quickly.

If he had one parvo vaccination he MIGHT survive this but pit bulls are notoriously susceptible to parvo and die easily from it.

This puppy really needs IV fluids before he gets to the point of no return. Giving him oral fluids is just overtaxing him since he is bringing it right back up. Sometimes the vet will give you fluids to give at home sub-q under his skin to keep him hydrated.
You need to take him to the vets and ask if they will do that for you. He will also need some injections to help stop his constant vomiting.

There just isn't anything you can do at home that's going to work at this point since he cannot keep anything in himself.

I know that vets cost money but pets cost money- nothing is free sadly. We take the responsibility of caring for these precious animals once we take them in - and that means paying for medical care as well.

Once he is well you should get pet insurance for him and that will help you tremendously.

I hope that he makes it Valerie. Get him to the vets tomorrow and get some help for him.
Please let me know how he does.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.