Ask the Veterinarian/Pregnant Cat Delivers Still born Kitten

Question
Our Cat, who adopted us (she just appeared one day about a month ago or a little longer) came to us pregnant. She seems to be a young cat, but I am not sure of her age. Anyway, abt 3/4 days ago, she started leaking a pinkish slimy discharge from her vagina, I assumed this was first stages of labor. Tonight at abt 8pm she came to me whining, I could see she was having contractions. After abt 45 minutes, she delivered a stilborn kitten, she licked it, ate the afterbirth and separated it from herself. We removed the kitten from her side, with no complaint from her, it had a malformed paw and abdomen, it had fur from its belly to its head. She them laid down and took a nap. It is now almost midnight, she got up walked around a little bit and went back to lay down. She is breathing normal, no signs of contractions as if right now, could this be her only kitten? Her belly is still hard, but u cannot feel any definite movement. I need help.

Answer
Well first litters can be tricky. She may very well have more stillborn kittens in her. If they are early they will be stillborn. If she has leukemia they can be stillborn.

It's a serious threat to her health if she still has kittens in her and isn't able to deliver them. If she still seems like her belly is hard but shows no sign of labor you must get her in to the vets or you could lose her.

Hopefully all the vet will find is an empty belly but he might find a litter in there that's not moving.

In either case she should be seen by a vet as soon as possible unless she has had them all since you posted this.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT