Ask the Veterinarian/Shih tux with cloudy eye

Question
Hi, my name is Danny and I was hoping to receive help as to why my year old shih tzu has one cloudy eye compared to his other eye that looks clear. His cloudy eye looks as if it is covered by a layer of white plasma which is as close as I get to describing it. It isn't built up but according to research I did it may be keratitis. I appreciate all the help

Answer
Yes, it may be a keratitis.  When the cornea turns white, that is usually either scar tissue or fluid buildup...a so called "steamy cornea."  It could also be a corneal dystrophy, where fatty deposits in the cornea will turn it white.  You should have the vet check it out for you. In some cases,an eye ointment can help it to clear if it is just fluid buildup in the cornea.  If it is scarred or infiltrated with fats, surgery may be able to give the dog some vision in the eye.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf