You are here:

Ask the Veterinarian/Skin irritation


Hi. I took my dog to Pet Smart the other day for a haircut
. Afterwards I noticed that his genital area was very red and irritated (he keeps licking the area) and it seems to be bothering him. It looks like the groomer may have accidentally nicked him. I was wondering if maybe I should apply some calamine lotion to the area, but I do not know if it is toxic to animals? Is it safe to do so? If not, is there another home remedy I can try before taking him to see the vet? Thank you for your time.

Calamine won't help him anyway. His skin is irritated from clipper burn it sounds like. I wouldn't be taking him back there if I were you.

You can use some cortisone creme or ointment on it to help with the burning until you see the vet. Some of these burns are very serious so please DO take him in to see the vet.
Then take the bill back to PetSmart and hand them a copy of it as they are liable for what has happened.

If the cortisone doesn't help or you don't have any, you can bathe the area with some oatmeal soaked water or put some Aveeno oatmeal lotion on it. Also cornstarch can help with the itching and redness.

But surely get him into the vets.  

Ask the Veterinarian

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jana Connell RVT, CVT


PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!


I have over 42 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love. I also Teach Veterinary Technology to working technicians who are studying to take their California Tests to become Licensed Technicians. They have to take both the VTNE (Veterinary Technician National Exam) and the California boards.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.


Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 1500 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Awards and Honors
Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]