Ask the Veterinarian/Skin irritation

Question
Hi. I took my dog to Pet Smart the other day to be groomed. Afterwards I noticed that his genital area was very red and irritated (he keeps licking the area) and it seems to be bothering him. It looks like the groomer may have accidentally nicked him. I was wondering if maybe I should apply some calamine lotion to the area, but I do not know if it is toxic to animals? Is it safe to do so? If not, is there another home remedy I can try before taking him to see the vet? Thank you for your time Dr. Louis.

Answer
Calamine lotion is safe, but he will most likely lick it right off.   He probably could use a steroid creme to take away the itch and irritation.  Ask your vet if they have something called TRITOP ointment.  It is a very thick creme with some steroids, a local anesthetic, and an antibiotic.  Even if he licks it, he will not get all of it off because it is so thick.  If that doesn't help, he may need a steroid shot to stop the itching and irritation.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf