Ask the Veterinarian/how many cats are too many

Hello, I breed Persian cats on a very small scale as a hobby. Many times people buy a kitten from me and then come back to me later wanting another. Some of them already have a cat or 2 at home before getting one of mine. I am asked many times by people, how many is too many. I know that cats are not pack animals so I do get concerned that they may be getting to many and may add stress to the cats. I don't like to turn people away but I also do not think it is as healthy or the cats are as happy with too many other cats around. Could you please give me your opinion on this. Thanks so much for your time. Linda

The rule of thumb according to research done is 120 square feet of living space per cat.
I think anything over 3 or 4 should be the limit, but that's MY opinion, not a professional one.

Make sure you do a home visit before you sell any of your cats. That's the only way you will know if they are going into a home that can support them properly. If these are high quality, show quality cats, that's the only way you should home them.

I understand wanting to keep a certain breed going, but do you feel that breeding, even as a hobby, is a good thing to continue considering the millions of unwanted, homeless cats - both mixed and purebred?

Something to consider...
I didn't mean to offend Linda but as a Sworn Pet Advocate I would remiss if I didn't mention it. I know that most cat breeders are not irresponsible about breeding but I worry about the people they sell to- not you but any breeder. If the problem out there was just mixed breed cats that's one thing but purebreds end up in shelters at alarming rates. Someone has to be the voice of the millions that don't have one- I am just one of thousands trying to be a voice.
Again, it wasn't meant to offend but to stimulate thought.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.