Ask the Veterinarian/FLUID IN GSD EAR

Question
Over the weekend, I noticed that my 11 yr old GSD has some fluid in her ear. I have been trying to clean it gently with soft tissues and ear cleaner but it keeps filling up with fluid. What could be causing this? Of course being a holiday weekend, my vet is closed and I a, worried about my baby.
I plan on calling them in the morning but would like some peace of mind in the meantime.
Thank you so much for your help.

Answer
If it is filling with fluid, then there is a good chance that there is a hole in the eardrum.  German shepherds are prone to this.  Your vet will be able to clean it and dry it to evaluate the eardrum.  If there is an infection causing an ulcer inthe skin of the ear canal,. that can weep fluid as well.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf