Ask the Veterinarian/Swollen Leg

Question
Swollen Leg
Swollen Leg  

Swollen Leg
Swollen Leg  
Dear Dr. Christina,

My 5 weeks old kitten recently has a very swollen leg but no obvious wound; attached are the pictures.

She could not put the leg on the ground and she's making sound as if she's in pain!

I read the info on your website regarding First Aid Kit  for Home and Travel:
"Activated charcoal use mixed with water topically for snake bite wounds or internally for diarrhea especially you suspect poisoning"

After applying the activated charcoal topically on her leg, do I need to cover it with cloth as her mother might ingest it when grooming her?

Is it harmful for her mother if she lick the activated charcoal?

Your cooperation and kind assistance are greatly appreciated!

Thanks & regards,

Answer
since you do not see a wound, it is probably not a snake bite, so I would not do the charcoal. If would be ok for mom to lick it since we also use charcoal internally to treat diarrhea and ingestion of toxins.

I would suspect an abscess or more likely, a broken leg since she could not put the leg on the ground. You really do need professional help for this one.
Thanks for asking and I hope you can find someone with expertise to help you.

Dr. C.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Christina Chambreau