Ask the Veterinarian/African Grey Parrot Left Eye Swelled Shut

Our African Grey Parrot (Max) has been sick for about two weeks now. We first noticed signs on 7/6/2014 and contacted an avian vet immediately. His left eye was swelled shut and there appeared to be some redness around it. There was also nasal discharge from his left nostril. His right side of his face looked and still looks normal. After visiting the vet on 7/19/2014, they seemed to think he had a sinus infection. They also said to try to change his diet up by giving him my different types of food, which we have done. They prescribed Max an oral, liquid anti-inflammatory medicine which we were advised to give him once a day for 7 days. After a few days, he seemed to be much better and back to normal. Yesterday (7/29/2014) I noticed there seemed to be some slight swelling around his left eye. This morning, when I checked on him, his left eye was fully swelled shut just like it was on day one. The nasal discharge (left side) has also returned. Do you have any ideas of what we should do?

I am not trained to treat birds, but I wanted to offer you some help since your parrot may not do well unless you get holistic care.

Homeopathic veterinarians can help you by phone or email, so go to - find a vet - advanced search - enter phone; avian; click search. Ramelmeier was a conventional avian vet and now is a great homeopath and Yearout specializes in birds and other exotics. The others in the list can be very good, as well.

Also, please immediately get Reiki help while you are finding a class to take. It may get you through the crises. Personally, I think every person who lives with or works with animals must know at least Level I Reiki. The practitioner offers this energy and the animal comes over to get it (or places her hands upon the animal), or it can be done from a distance, even around the world with the intent for healing to occur. The energy flows through the healer into the animal. This is based on directly applying Chi (energy) to rebalance the energy field so it no longer needs to produce the physical symptoms. It is a very good adjunct to any healing modality, especially to relieve pain and inflammation. I have seen cats who began to eat again when their food was treated with Reiki. It also "takes the bad out of" things. By doing Reiki on smelly water in restaurants I have been able to drink sweet tasting and smelling water. Use Reiki anytime that you must give injections, vaccines, drugs, flea or heartworm drugs, or other substances with potential toxicity. Reiki is great to calm animals, relieve discomfort, and can deeply heal some problems in some animals.  

1. Great information on Reiki - Kathleen Prasad is a wonderful teacher and works with my favorite sanctuary and holistic education center, BrightHaven Kathleen leads a free monthly telechat for anyone trained in Reiki and using it with animals.
3. If you cannot find a Reiki Class near you (same class for people and animals as it connects you through an "attunement" to the healing energy of the universe, making you a channel of healing), the following groups offer long distance, free, attunements.

c. offers free Reiki attunements, classes and training on-line         and animal classes, too
       d. Long distance healing and training is at  
       e. Christine at, To receive free distance Reiki send her your first name only, city and state, and whether or not you have had any Reiki training.  She invites you to include your pets as well.  She uses a teddy bear and does a full body Reiki distance treatment for one hour each Sunday evening from 9 p.m. until 10 p.m. EST.
4. has articles and Maryland holistic practitioners listed.
5.  .  is a great practitioner in Maryland who knows a lot about cats.
6. Get a free treatment for yourself at

Another wonderful healer, Deena Spears works long distance with Sound Tuning. I have seen many animals and the people in a home be healed by her work.

And a team of over 100 healers will send free healing energy until you say not to. Email Barbara at with your healing request, name of animal, species, color & age. In the subject say request through Dr. Chambreau  

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Christina Chambreau

I can give you the holistic approach to any problem, mostly for dogs and cats and some farm animals and horses. Depending on the condition and the type of animal, I will be able to give very specific treatment suggestions such as what flower essences, homeopathic remedies, nutritional supplements, diet changes, lifestyle changes or herbs that may be helpful - not drugs. I can also suggest where you can go for further education or to find a specialist in a specific holistic field. I can help you understand why your animal is ill and what improvements can be expected. I do not check messages more than every one to two days, so PLEASE DO NOT ask about EMERGENCIES - call your local veterinarian. I cannot diagnose your animal. I cannot prescribe specific treatments. I am no longer very current with conventional treatments, so cannot answer questions on those. I am not an expert on birds or small critters. I am not an expert in breeding, birthing or babies.

I graduated from the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine in 1980 and began using homeopathy in my practice after a client introduced me to it. By 1988 I was using exclusively holistic treatments. I began lecturing in 1987 and have spoken at veterinary conferences, health food stores, people's homes, churches, veterinary college conferences - anywhere people want to learn more about keeping their animals healthy.

Academy of Veterinary Homeopathy (I helped found this one) American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association National Center for Homeopathy American Veterinary Medical Association

I have written in many magazines, journals and newspapers. A few include Bark Magazine; Journal of the AHVMA; Baltimore Dog Magazine; Whole Dog Journal; Tiger Tribe; Wolf Clan. I have also been frequently interviewed on radio and TV. I am Associate Editor for the Integrative Veterinary Care Journal, so often have articles there.

Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) Certified Veterinary Homeopath (CVH)