Ask the Veterinarian/cloudiness of the eye

Question
hello, my 4 month old dachshund suddenly had a cloudy left eye this morning. Last night before sleeping the eye was apparently normal. It has a cloudy/opaque appearance, she acts normally and does not appear to scratch the affected eyeis it a serious condition?  what self treatment can i do?

Answer
Hello,
I always think that eye things need immediate treatment, so I would get her to the vet. What you are describing sounds like uveitis. This can be caused by a number of things, so diagnosis is pretty important. Basically that cloudiness indicates an eye that is inflamed and damaged. In young dogs this is commonly due to a corneal ulcer (speaking from experience these are quite painful!).

Some information here: http://www.eyecareforanimals.com/animal-eye-conditions/canine/346-canineuveitis.

Hope that helps a little. A check up for something like this would be pretty cheap and easy at your local vet.

Eloise

Ask the Veterinarian

Eloise Bright