Ask the Veterinarian/cloudiness of the eye

hello, my 4 month old dachshund suddenly had a cloudy left eye this morning. Last night before sleeping the eye was apparently normal. It has a cloudy/opaque appearance, she acts normally and does not appear to scratch the affected eyeis it a serious condition?  what self treatment can i do?

I always think that eye things need immediate treatment, so I would get her to the vet. What you are describing sounds like uveitis. This can be caused by a number of things, so diagnosis is pretty important. Basically that cloudiness indicates an eye that is inflamed and damaged. In young dogs this is commonly due to a corneal ulcer (speaking from experience these are quite painful!).

Some information here:

Hope that helps a little. A check up for something like this would be pretty cheap and easy at your local vet.

Ask the Veterinarian

Eloise Bright

I am a vet with a special interest in dermatology, particularly allergic dogs and cats, behaviour and acupuncture. I work mainly with dogs and cats. If you are wondering why your pet is still itchy, despite good flea control, or why your dog licks his feet, I may be able to give you some solutions. I'm currently very passionate about behaviour and am doing some further education in this area. So if you have a troubling behaviour with your dog or cat, such as barking, leash reactivity, anxiety or a dog who is a little wild and difficult to control, I may be able to help you with some solutions.

I work in an area of Sydney where we see lots of allergic pets. I think behaviour problems are very common and I help a number of owners find solutions that will restore peace to them and their pets. Currently I enjoy answering questions, providing advice and writing pet care articles for

I graduated as a vet from Sydney Uni in 2006 and have since been completing my Masters in Small Animal Practice and am also updating my skills with a behaviour course through Sydney Uni.