Ask the Veterinarian/How can I help kittens be comfortable after spay/neuter?

QUESTION: I have two 4 month old kittens out of 4 that I am still trying to find a good safe home for. These two are boy and girl tuxedo twins very sweet,bright and playful.

The problem is I have raised them from about 2-1/2 to 3wks old They were dumped off on a church lawn near my home and I bottle fed them till they were old enough to eat reg food.

I took them to a Vet a couple of weeks after finding them he said they were healthy and in good shape.

I've grown to love them very much but cannot keep them.

Tomorrow I have an appointment to take them to be spayed/neutered. I would like to know if those Spay mobiles are really safe? and why don't they recommend pain meds for after surgery? I was told they wouldn't be in much pain but how do they know this?

Will the kittens still be playful and sweet or somber and moody? Should I buy something for their pain and where do I purchase it.

How will they feel towards me after tomorrow and will they trust me anymore?

ANSWER: In my 33 years as a holistic vet and 20 years as an assistant before that, I would say that most females and 99.9% of males feel very little to no pain after surgery. Most are groggy for the day of surgery but are back to normal within 24-48 hours. They will still trust you completely. When you leave them, tell them that they are having some treatments to help them in life and that you WILL be back for them.

As a holistic vet, I can offer you a 100% safe treatment that may help with any anxiety before and any minor pain after. Get Rescue Remedy from the health food store (or even some regular stores). Put 4 drops into a 1 ounce dropper bottle filled with water and give them a few drops of that into their mouth before driving to vet, on arrival at vet, when picked up and every few hours after that.

So glad you have taken care of them so far and will find loving homes for them. While it is hard to let go (I have done it with about 5 cats), you can feel so good that you got them a good start.

Rarely, there are negative behavior changes after surgery. If that happens, contact an integrative veterinarian who can quickly get them back to normal.
1. Wide range of other treatments:, American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association and   
2. Homeopathic veterinarians (these can often help you by phone if no other holistic practitioners are nearby that you like): and
3. Chiropractor -
4. Acupuncture and Chinese medicine:, &

QUESTION: Are the spay mobiles safe?

What if there are post op problems what do I do?

The spay mobiles don't offer the "E" collars so how do I keep them from grooming each other or themselves and licking the area, especially while I'm at work?

for post op - try the rescue remedy as suggested.
If they become very ill, I am sure the clinic will tell you how to reach someone. There are now 24 hour clinics in most areas.

for the spay, often good surgeons put in under the skin sutures that cannot be licked out.
Or steel staples may be used. Even with regular sutures only a few seem to lick enough to cause problems. If you notice her licking, put something that tastes bad (soap, hot sauce, perfume, etc) on the skin near the incision (not right on it but 1/2 inch away at least). that may help.

Mobile clinics are as good as the vet doing the surgery.
Non-mobile clinics are as good as the vet doing the surgery, so the only thing to do in either circumstance is to find references - other people who have used them. Or just have faith that your kittens will  be fine.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Christina Chambreau

I can give you the holistic approach to any problem, mostly for dogs and cats and some farm animals and horses. Depending on the condition and the type of animal, I will be able to give very specific treatment suggestions such as what flower essences, homeopathic remedies, nutritional supplements, diet changes, lifestyle changes or herbs that may be helpful - not drugs. I can also suggest where you can go for further education or to find a specialist in a specific holistic field. I can help you understand why your animal is ill and what improvements can be expected. I do not check messages more than every one to two days, so PLEASE DO NOT ask about EMERGENCIES - call your local veterinarian. I cannot diagnose your animal. I cannot prescribe specific treatments. I am no longer very current with conventional treatments, so cannot answer questions on those. I am not an expert on birds or small critters. I am not an expert in breeding, birthing or babies.

I graduated from the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine in 1980 and began using homeopathy in my practice after a client introduced me to it. By 1988 I was using exclusively holistic treatments. I began lecturing in 1987 and have spoken at veterinary conferences, health food stores, people's homes, churches, veterinary college conferences - anywhere people want to learn more about keeping their animals healthy.

Academy of Veterinary Homeopathy (I helped found this one) American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association National Center for Homeopathy American Veterinary Medical Association

I have written in many magazines, journals and newspapers. A few include Bark Magazine; Journal of the AHVMA; Baltimore Dog Magazine; Whole Dog Journal; Tiger Tribe; Wolf Clan. I have also been frequently interviewed on radio and TV. I am Associate Editor for the Integrative Veterinary Care Journal, so often have articles there.

Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) Certified Veterinary Homeopath (CVH)