Ask the Veterinarian/how do i know if my puppy is overweight

Question
I have a 5 month old puppy named Leia and I want to know if she is overweight. What are the signs to know that she is overweight?

Answer
I am so glad you have a concern about weight and I am sorry that I sid not seem to answer your question to your satisfaction. Maybe I gave too much information.

Weight is dependent on the breed of dog (not given), the parents (if known) so there is no way I could give you pounds (3# could be overweight for a 6 month old Yorkie, and 100# not overweight for a 6 month old St. Bernard. The best is to feel her - if she has a waist and you do not have to press hard to feel the ribs - she is probably fine.

Most veterinarians have weight charts for breeds and pictures of proper weight (seeing a waist, etc) and will weight your dog for free.

Feeding a fresh food diet will almost assure that your dog will never be overweight.

I hope this helps you more than my first answer.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Christina Chambreau