Ask the Veterinarian/medicine

Question
QUESTION: Dr. Bright,
What do you think of giving a pug that weighs 28 pounds Ketoconazole 200mg tab 21 days for ringworm?
Thank you,
Paul

ANSWER: Hi Paul,
Do you have concerns about the dose or the medication? That appears to be the correct dose for Ketoconazole. Has your dog experienced some side effects from the medication? Was this prescribed by a vet? It is difficult to comment without knowing all the details. Was the ringworm diagnosed by fungassay?

Here is some good information about ketoconazole if that helps: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=521

Eloise

QUESTION: Dr. Bright,
Diagnosis was by a vet by black light.  Looked at it for a long time.  My concern was possible liver damage and the 21 days.

Thanks,
Paul

Answer
Hi Paul,
How old is your dog? Rarely would you get liver damage unless there was already some liver problem. How bad is the ringworm? Has your dog experienced hairloss? In some cases with a mild infection you can treat with a miconazole shampoo like Malaseb, just depends how overwhelming the infection is. Perhaps you could ring your vet and discuss your concerns with possible side effects and see if they think that just a medicated wash/shampoo would suffice. Ringworm basically just causes skin changes, but the concern is that it is zoonotic, so we always like to treat it before anyone else in the household gets it!

Eloise

Ask the Veterinarian

Eloise Bright