Ask the Veterinarian/medicine

Dr. Gotthelf,
What do you think of giving a 28 pound pug Ketoconazole, 200mg, tab teva, 21 days for ringworm. I'm afraid of liver damage.  Isn't there anything better.  I thought Keto was banned in Europe and Australia, and not approved by the FDA.

If there is a culture confirmed ringworm case, then ketoconazole 200 mg or fluconazole 100 mg for 3 weeks should help.  Daily shampooing with a ketoconazole or chlorhexidine shampoo for 10 minutesd daily will also really help.  Ketoconazole has been associated with some types of liver disease in humans, but it is rarely found in dogs.  It is not banned in the US as far as I know. The price for ketoconazole has skyrtocketed in the last few months because fewer manufacturers are producing it since there is a very much more limited use for it.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf

Dermatology and ear diseases of dogs and cats

I am the author of "Small Animal Ear Diseases; An Illustrated Guide" published by W.B. Saunders. I have over 25 years of clinical experience with a special interest in dermatologic conditions and ear diseases.

American Academy of Veterinary Dermatology

Veterinary Forum
Veterinary Medicine
Waltham Focus