Ask the Veterinarian/painful uterine spasms during menstrual cycles

Dear Dr. Eloise,
       I own a 7 year old pomeranian dog, vaccinated as per schedule, with a past history (3 years ago) of minimal crusting around 5 nipples and adhesion of circumferential hairs and skin to the nipple. I had consulted a veterinary expert, who said that it was a false pregnancy sign.
  She never had any episodes of pseudo-pregnancy ever since, but now she is undergoing her menstrual cycle and seems to be in great distress. She has a thin build, and I can visualize her uterine spasmodic contractions at well placed intervals. This is first time she has experienced this. I would be extremely grateful if you would kindly offer your opinion and advice.

Thanking you,
Dr. Srikar

Hi there,
When did she first start showing signs of coming on heat? I would be a little worried that she has a pyometra or endometriosis if she is painful. Has she got a normal temperature? Is she eating? Do you have a local vet you can take her to, to get her examined?

Ask the Veterinarian

Eloise Bright

I am a vet with a special interest in dermatology, particularly allergic dogs and cats, behaviour and acupuncture. I work mainly with dogs and cats. If you are wondering why your pet is still itchy, despite good flea control, or why your dog licks his feet, I may be able to give you some solutions. I'm currently very passionate about behaviour and am doing some further education in this area. So if you have a troubling behaviour with your dog or cat, such as barking, leash reactivity, anxiety or a dog who is a little wild and difficult to control, I may be able to help you with some solutions.

I work in an area of Sydney where we see lots of allergic pets. I think behaviour problems are very common and I help a number of owners find solutions that will restore peace to them and their pets. Currently I enjoy answering questions, providing advice and writing pet care articles for

I graduated as a vet from Sydney Uni in 2006 and have since been completing my Masters in Small Animal Practice and am also updating my skills with a behaviour course through Sydney Uni.