Ask the Veterinarian/Cat being sick

Hi there,
Since last night my cat has been dry reaching and has actually been sick twice. He is very fluffy and has this problem every few weeks or so but never this bad or for this long. Usually it only lasts an hour or so which is why I am concerned since it has been almost 24 hours now. He has tried to eat but just gets one mouthful before he realizes he is sick and walks away after dry reaching. Could this be more than just a fur-ball?

Hi Sherry,
This is a tricky one to answer without seeing your cat and examining him. It does sound a little more than just a fur ball. I would get him to your vet to have him checked out. Could be just a mild gastroenteritis, or something more serious like pancreatitis, an obstruction or any number of other things.

Sorry I can't be of more help. There are a number of causes of vomiting, so it is hard to say what might be causing your cat to vomit without examination and perhaps even doing a few tests. I wrote an article recently on the subject, fairly similar for dogs and cats, only cats are less likely to eat disgusting things off the ground compared to dogs.

Ask the Veterinarian

Eloise Bright

I am a vet with a special interest in dermatology, particularly allergic dogs and cats, behaviour and acupuncture. I work mainly with dogs and cats. If you are wondering why your pet is still itchy, despite good flea control, or why your dog licks his feet, I may be able to give you some solutions. I'm currently very passionate about behaviour and am doing some further education in this area. So if you have a troubling behaviour with your dog or cat, such as barking, leash reactivity, anxiety or a dog who is a little wild and difficult to control, I may be able to help you with some solutions.

I work in an area of Sydney where we see lots of allergic pets. I think behaviour problems are very common and I help a number of owners find solutions that will restore peace to them and their pets. Currently I enjoy answering questions, providing advice and writing pet care articles for

I graduated as a vet from Sydney Uni in 2006 and have since been completing my Masters in Small Animal Practice and am also updating my skills with a behaviour course through Sydney Uni.