Ask the Veterinarian/Kitten soft stool

Hello, I have a male kitten who is slightly over two months old. The past three days he has been having soft stool, like diarrhea. This morning he did it once and it was a greenish color. He is behaving normally; still playful and runs around and does not act sick at all. I am not sure if his stool being so soft could mean that he is sick if he isn't showing any other signs or symptoms. Also, if it helps, there has been no change in his food; he has been eating the same dry food, no new brands. I understand sometimes wet food may cause soft stool in cats. However, he hasn't had any wet food recently. Might you have any insight on what factors may cause my kitten to be experiencing such soft stool? Thank you, and I greatly appreciate your time.

It is very difficult to know what could be causing the diarrhoea if there has been no diet change. Broadly you have infectious causes like giardia, coccidia, trichomonas, salmonella, e.coli to name a few. Parasites, food intolerances and many other causes. In younger cats infectious causes are more likely. Has your kitten had any worming recently? They should be wormed every 2 weeks until 12 weeks of age.

I would suggest getting your kitten to the vet for a check up.

Hope that helps

Ask the Veterinarian

Eloise Bright

I am a vet with a special interest in dermatology, particularly allergic dogs and cats, behaviour and acupuncture. I work mainly with dogs and cats. If you are wondering why your pet is still itchy, despite good flea control, or why your dog licks his feet, I may be able to give you some solutions. I'm currently very passionate about behaviour and am doing some further education in this area. So if you have a troubling behaviour with your dog or cat, such as barking, leash reactivity, anxiety or a dog who is a little wild and difficult to control, I may be able to help you with some solutions.

I work in an area of Sydney where we see lots of allergic pets. I think behaviour problems are very common and I help a number of owners find solutions that will restore peace to them and their pets. Currently I enjoy answering questions, providing advice and writing pet care articles for

I graduated as a vet from Sydney Uni in 2006 and have since been completing my Masters in Small Animal Practice and am also updating my skills with a behaviour course through Sydney Uni.