Ask the Veterinarian/Senior dog snd dhpp shots

Question
Dear dr.

I adopted a rescue senior 11 yr. old west highland terrier 3 yrs ago who is now 14 years old.
The shelter gave her shots before adopting her out and a year later at age 12, I had the vet give her the rabies required by
Law and also the 5 and 1 shot DHPP .  I normally stop giving non mandatory shots to my dogs once they turn 10.
Since I do not know her medically history before her adoption I'm not sure if it is safe to stop the shots.
My vet and I never agree about when to stop giving shots to old dogs.

Thank you

Answer
DISTEMPER AND PARVO ARE VERY UNCOMMON IN OLDER DOGS, AND IF YOUR DOG WAS IMMUNIZED EARLIER IN LIFE, THERE IS MOST LIKELY STILL GOOD IMMUNITY.  YOUR VET CAN RUN A TEST TO FIND OUT IF YOUR DOG STILL HAS GOOD IMMUNITY.  SO LEPTOSPIROSIS AND KENNEL COUGH VACCINES ARE APPROPRIATE FOR AN OLDER DOG.  RABIES IS MANDATED BY LAW IN EVERY STATE, WHETHER IT IS A 1 YEAR OR A 3 YEAR VACCINE.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf